Which mobile ad sizes are better for apps
Nowadays mobile marketing area has grown in such manner that became harder and harder for companies to win customers’ interest regarding their brand. If we take a look at the forecast published by eMarketer on the global mobile advertising spending until 2019, we realize that the numbers are huge. This is why we should do everything we can to offer a great experience for users, and instead they can give us their attention. To help you, we will present 4 of the most popular ad sizes but there isn’t a magic formula for this situation. It is your call to test them and to decide which one is the right fit for your interests. For each ad size we will present the advantages and disadvantages so you can figure out the best choice for you. The most important criteria in choosing a size for your mobile ad are the target audience and mobile ad platform. So test then choose wisely.
1. 300 X 250 – Medium Rectangle
Google considers this type of ad the best one when it comes to top performing ad sizes. Many marketers choose this ad format because it offers the possibility of displaying both text and image. It gives better results when it is used within the content or at the end of the page. This ad format is popular for both desktop and mobile devices.
– It is more visible. Having a larger size they offer the possibility to display more elements to attract customers.
– Users are used with it. Because they see them everywhere, users know how to react when they reach this kind of ad.
– It is not intrusive. Although they have bigger dimensions, they don’t annoy customers.
– Ad blindness. Although it is big enough to be seen, because users are used with this format from their experience with ads on desktop they tend to ignore it.
2. Native Ads
Native ads are available in all sorts of sizes and formats. As their name states, they create the impression that they are part of the content. They are the least intrusive because they blend with the rest of the layout. If you choose this kind of ads you can opt for social platforms that offer great targeting options like Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads or Twitter Ads. Your product will be in the right place at the right moment.
– It doesn’t annoy the user. Because of their nature, they are very attractive for customers.
– Users prefer them instead of banner ads. According to Dedicated Media, native ads are viewed 53% more than banner ads.
– Much effort. It requires a lot of work to design and make them part of the content.
3. 320 X 480 – Mobile Interstitials
Interstitials are full screen ads that pop up between activities within an app. This type of ad is considered the most successful because it is shown on the entire screen, so it can’t be ignored. Users have two options: to close them if they are not interested or to press the call – to – action button if they want to see more about that brand. Be careful; never interrupt an activity to show an ad. It is better to wait the moment when users are engaged, for example after completing a task or after winning a battle in a game to display the interstitial.
– Great visibility. Because they occupy the whole screen they can’t be ignored.
– It can contain text, images, animations and even videos which attract more users. The reason of their success is the wide space that allows designers to be as creative as possible.
– High impressions and conversions. Timing is crucial in this case. If they are set the right way, interstitials can be very interesting for customers.
– Intrusive. There can be 2 absolute different aspects of the situation. The pleasant one when user likes the ad and you reach your goal or the worst one, when he is annoyed by the ad and you lose it forever.
– Higher price. This type of ad is more expensive than others.
– Not so easy to create and deploy. You have to be experienced in this domain to create an artistic ad or you need to hire somebody that knows what he is doing.
4. 320 X 50 – Mobile Leaderboard
This type is a standard banner and it is the most common because it is a mobile optimized banner. The same situation is with 300 X 50 ad size. Although it can be set on top or at the bottom of the screen, the second option seems to have better results. In this situation you have to avoid bright colors and too much text. There are many possibilities when it comes to design as they can be static or animated, but there has to be a call – to – action button, to direct users on the right page if they like the ad. Flappy Bird team gain a lot using banner ads.
– It is very easy to produce and deploy standard banners. You don’t need to be a great designer to create this kind of ads.
– It is accessible on any screens. You don’t have to worry about different devices as they are available on all screens.
– It is not annoying. If they are designed right, they are not intrusive.
– It is a cheap format. If you don’t have a great budget you can consider this format for your ads.
– Limited space. It is difficult to decide what to show on these little banners to represent better your brand.
– Banner blindness. Because it has smaller sizes, this type of ads tends to be ignored by users.
We presented you 4 of the most popular ad sizes available this year. In the same time we showed you the ups and downs of each ad format. Maybe you choose interstitial ads to occupy the whole screen or you go for smaller types like mobile leaderboard or medium rectangle. Another popular type is native ads which come in different sizes; but you should always keep in mind that you have to think from users’ point of view and to look for their needs when you choose the appropriate size for your ads.